Monday, March 31, 2014

Burned cake/Tourteau Fromager/Cheesecake, the French way






My coworker once asked me whether I've ever had a burned cheese cake... "No,
I've never burned one, although I made it only once and it could have been a beginner's luck." :-) Turns out she had an actual cake in mind that looks like as if it was burned; and because it contains a lot of cheese, goat cheese to be precise, it is named 'burned cheese cake'. It is also known as 'cheesecake, the French way' (not because French tend to burn it, no) or 'torteau fromager'. My coworker made it and brought to share. I have liked the flavor a lot and wanted to make it, too. 
Since then I've been searching online about this cake and found many good recipes, including this one which even shows how to make goat cheese at home. 
You can buy a special mold for torteau fromager on French Amazon site. I've tried ordering it from US, but it didn't work... I have then asked my sister to buy it for me, but she declined, with the whole family supporting her claim that I have way too many kitchen gadgets and "stuff" and that I really don't need one more... Ah, no comment. Anyway, I've found a perfect rounded and shallow gratin dish here that serves the purpose and is very cute!









Ingredients: 

Pastry
  • 100g/4oz plain flour
  • 50g/2oz unsalted butter
  • 1 egg yolk
  • water

Filling
  • 90g/3 1/2oz fromage frais (goat's or cow's milk)
  • 50g/2oz caster sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 eggs

Serves 6

Directions:

First make the pastry dough and leave it to rest for 1 hour. Roll out the dough and line a 20cm/8inch dish with it.
For the filling, combine the cheese and sugar in a large bowl, then add the flour which has been sifted with the baking powder. Mix well. Separate the eggs and add the egg yolks to the cheese mixture one at a time, mixing constantly. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then fold into the mixture. Pour into the pastry-lined dish and set aside in a cold room for 1 hour. 
Preheat the oven to 400F. Bake the cheesecake for 40-45min or until set and risen, and the toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the centre.
It stays fresh and soft for few days, it is equally nice served warm and cold. You can add some fruit toppings or fruit spread with a piece of cake when serving, if you like it. 


Kitchen notes: I tend to always have a quiche dough in the freezer for an impromptu quick dinner, and therefore I make a few at the time. On that occassion, I often reserve a piece that will be used for making this cake. That way you don't need to make a pastry separately. (for more details on making the pastry and quiche, please check this prevoius post)

Bon appetit,
Miki

2 comments: