Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Princes krofnice (chouquettes)

I wanted to learn to make this lovely desert for a very long time! When my friend's mother visits here from France she makes them so wonderfully and in a perfect one-bite size. I thought they are difficult to make, that the dough has to be of a certain consistency and the oven of a certain temperature ... otherwise they will not rise and may not have a hole  inside. Well, I was happily surprised that it wasn't difficult at all, and that this recipe has perfect proportions of all ingredients. The most difficult part for me was the piping tube with the dough, but this was the first time for me doing so and now next time I'll know not to fill it more than a half,  or I may just use two spoons. 



Ingredients: 

  • 170g all-purpose flour
  • 170ml water
  • 170ml milk
  • 100g of butter
  • 3 eggs 
  • 1tsp salt
  • 1tsp sugar

Directions:


Bring milk, water and cubes of butter to a boil. Take off the heat and add all the flour. Start stirring quickly and put the pot back on the stove that is now turned-off but still very warm. The lump will start to to look more homogeneous and when you see the foil starting to form on the bottom of the pot, take it off the stove. Wait for it to cool few minutes, stir it few times. Then mix 3 eggs and add them slowly while mixing constantly. This is the elbow-grease part! The dough will start to look more elastic and at the point where it stretches when you try to bring it up with a wooden spoon, it is done!     

Turn on the oven to preheat and start putting the dough into the piping bag. I like to make them small, one-bite size, as on the picture below. You can smooth the top with your fingers and a little of warm water. This will also help for the powdered sugar to stick. I have also added few drops of 'Swedish pearl sugar' on top. Voila! :) Enjoy them while warm! 


Baking:


Preheat the oven to 400F and bake for 20min. Then turn-off the oven and let them stay for another 10min.  


Bon appetit,
Miki





2 comments:

  1. Milena, thanks for sharing. I must try this soon. Do you have a recipe for custard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome, Sanda! Please let me know how the recipe worked for you, and/or if you have any ideas/suggestions for modification. I was just very proud that each of them had a hole inside, so I just enjoyed eating them as such. :) The sugar on top added just perfect amount of sweetness. I don't have a recipe for custard, but we were just talking (Sandra and I) about asking you and Maja for a recipe of the filling for 'krempita'? Are they the same? I'm planning to fill them with vanilla pudding next time, or with a whipped cream.

    ReplyDelete