Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Udon in dashi broth with mushrooms

This is me embarking on Japanese cooking once again and  trying to get that umami dashi (that I like so much) with a help from mushrooms that contain a lot gluatamates :)
Here is my dashi recipe - I think it was decent ;)











Homemade Dashi
1 piece of dry kombu (my piece was about 10cm by 3cm when dry)
1  small package of bonito flakes (about 1/2 cup)
5 1/2 cups of water

Soak kombu  in cold water for 20 minutes or longer if you  have time. Then  turn on  the heat and when water is nearly (but not quite) at boiling point add the bonito flakes and turn the heat off and steep for about 10 minutes covered. Remove kombu.
Strain through a fine mesh strainer.

Mushroom Udon Soup

3 servings of udon noodles
Assorted fresh mushrooms ( I used some assorted package that I bough but picture should help you get an idea. I believe some of them are enokitake)
2 handfuls of napa cabbage, coarsely sliced
1 green onion, sliced thinly
5  1/2 cups homemade dashi
Soy sauce to taste
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and blanch napa cabbage. Cook noodles according to a package instructions and drain.Season dashi with about one tablespoon of soy sauce and add more if needed. Add mushrooms to the dashi  and bring to a boil. Turn heat down and simmer for about five minutes, covered. Place a bundle of noodles in a bottom of a bowl and top with the soup. Garnish with some green onion on top.
Enjoy!


0 comments:

Post a Comment