Saturday, November 2, 2013

Green Bean Mooncake (Taiwanese Style) by Julie

I am posting this recipe on behalf of my friend Julie Chen. Thank you Julie for sharing! I look forward to seeing you soon in NYC :)




I still remember when I first tried a mooncake, its melty flaky outside and the plum filling inside. I'm not sure whether it was the act of sharing it with a friend, or the cake itself, or the mid-autmn festival, but I am sure they are (as wikipedia describes them) an "indispensible delicacy" even when you are not moon watching! 

p.s. You need not worry whether you've misread "42g" in the recipe below, because 42 is the right answer. ;)





Ingredients for Outer Oil Dough:

  • 150g all purpose flour
  • 1 Tbsp powdered sugar
  • 42g vegetable oil 
  • 1/4 cup water

Ingredients for Inner Oil Dough:

  • 100g all purpose flour
  • 42g vegetable oil


1. Outer dough: Mix flour, sugar, vegetable oil and water into a dough and let it rest for 30 mins. Divide into 15g peaces.
2. Inner dough: Mix flour and vegetable oil into a paste and divide into 10 g peaces (they should be of the same amount as the outer dough but I am not that professional so I've altered it a bit)
3. Flatten outer dough and wrap around the inner dough. Roll into a long shape and roll it up like a swiss roll.
4. Flatten again into long shape and do a 3-fold method.
5. Roll into a round shape and wrap up with the prepared fillings.
6. Decorate with food coloring (optional). I just use a bit of red food coloring and at the end of a takeout use chopstick to dot the tops.
7. Bake at 350 F for about 20 to 25 mins.



Fillings:

Green bean: 
1 cup of dry peeled mung beans
1 cup of water

1. Soaked for 2-4 hours
2. Cook until soup is slightly dried out.
3. Then add a bit of sugar (adjust to personal taste)
4. Add a little vegetable and stir fry till the water dries up.
5. Divide into 25-30g peaces.

*I cooked the mung beans in my rice cooker then stir fry them.
**You can use red bean paste as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment